Fishing is a sport that people either love or totally do not understand. For those who don’t get it, it conjures up images of sitting for hours and hours to catch a live animal with a sharp hook, only to then throw it back (or have to physically kill it). However, fishing is something that people have done for entertainment and for nourishment for thousands of years. According to Mack Prioleau, it is an amazing sport and everybody should take part in it. Here are his 10 reasons why.
Mack Prioleau’s 10 Reasons to Go Fishing
- Fishing is very important for conservation. Indeed, real fishermen are passionate about protecting the planet. They have licenses and pay taxes, which all go towards the environment. Additionally, they avoid overfishing and stop certain kinds of fish from taking over waterways.
- Fishing helps to relieve stress. It is a very relaxing sport in which you can sit still for hours on end, while at the same time having to keep your mind sharp. Plus, every once in a while, a fish will bite, which means it needs to be reeled in. This takes physical strength, but because it is only every once in a while, it is a very healthy way of staying fit.
- Fishing creates social bonds. Sitting by a lake or river, or on a boat, with a friend while fishing means spending time together, away from consumer electronics and the hustle and bustle of daily life. It is a chance to get to know each other.
- Fishing can support the local economy. Many fishing spots are owned by local organizations that do a lot of important environmental work and fishermen assist those. Additionally, bait shops and tackle shops can stay in business.
- There are health benefits to fishing as it means you engage in some physical movement and spend time in the great outdoors. Considering how many people are overweight nowadays, any movement helps.
- Fishing is a recreational sport and taking part in recreational things is hugely important for a person’s mental health.
- It gives people a sense of self-fulfillment. Reeling in that huge fish, or even thinking you’re going to real one in, makes you feel alive and as if you have accomplished something to be proud of.
- Fishing provides time for self-reflection, enabling you to become a better version of yourself.
- You can fish for your own food, thereby becoming less reliant on consumer stores. Furthermore, it means you eat less processed food, which again contributes to greater health.
- FIshing is thrilling! It doesn’t matter whether you’re deep sea fishing for tuna on board a tiny ship, or comfortably sitting along the bank of a river, that moment you sense a bite is nothing short of exciting.
Clearly, there are good reasons why people should fish more and it is obvious why it turned into a sport for recreation almost as soon as humans found out that it is possible to eat fish.