When mold infests a home, it can be a serious problem that should be addressed promptly. This is a form of fungus that is made of some small organisms. Though mold helps trees decompose, it is harmful when it starts building up indoors. Whether you reside in a rented house or your own home, you should always know the signs of mold since this can cause health problems if ignored. Here are some of the obvious signs that can tell you that your home is infested with mold.

Constant sickness

Do you always feel sick while indoors but get better when you go outside? This could indicate that your house is infested with mold. When indoors, you could be inhaling the mold spores that may be leading to different health issues. Mold can cause allergic reactions in people. While some people experience nasal congestion often, others have a cough that never seems to disappear. When you are exposed to these mold spores for a long time, it can lead to asthma symptoms, an itching sensation, or watery eyes. 

If you have either of the problems, you should go through your home and see if any visible signs of mold infestation are. Try to monitor your symptoms for a week and see if they worsen in particular rooms. If you notice this, you can visit a specialist that handles allergies. The problems tend to worsen when you are living with young ones.

Bubbly walls 

If you notice bubble formation on your home walls, it shows that there is a high possibility of mold infestation. This often happens in areas that receive a lot of moisture, such as the bathroom, corners around the windows, or basement walls. Mold spores often go hand in hand with moisture, and you cannot cover this up by painting your home with fresh paint. 

You can handle this problem with the help of experts who offer Mold inspection New York services. They can help you identify the main source of moisture in your home and fix it. Before you think about repainting such areas, they should be cleaned and dried fast. 

Spotting on walls

Apart from bubbly walls, you may also note spotting or fur on the walls. Since mold comes in different varieties, you should check out for colored specks around your walls. Sometimes, mold can be spotted while at other times, it is entirely black or white. It may appear as velvety or powdery. If your walls show such signs, it indicates the presence of mold in your home.

Musty smell

Do you notice an unpleasant odor every time you get into your home? Even if your house is clean, a mold infestation can still make it smell. A strong, musty smell indicates a severe case of mold growth. Look for damp areas around your home and find out if the smell is stronger around such areas. If you find the mold, you should remove it immediately. Sometimes, mold tends to grow in places that are hard to reach, such as inside your walls. In this case, you should call an expert that can help you get rid of it.

Persistent moisture and condensation

When a home is damp, it increases the likelihood of mold growth. If, for instance, you find moisture on your pipes, you can get a plumber that can help you solve the problem. Though temporary, getting dehumidifiers can also help you minimize excess moisture in your home. If, for instance, your home had moisture issues before, it increases the risk of mold. 

Look for mold in areas where water is likely to stand still for long. During winter, you should think about condensation issues that often lead to high humidity. This, in turn, can support the growth of mold in your home. 

Rust

Metal surfaces tend to rust when there is a lot of moisture. You can prevent the further growth of mold on such surfaces through some of the DIY removal tips such as cleaning different surfaces or using products that can kill mold.  If you notice these signs, you should remove mold since it can affect the structure of your home and cause health issues.